viernes, 24 de diciembre de 2010

The meaning of Christmas to me

Yesterday I was in a hurry with my partner to find the presents left to buy. He decided to go to a shopping mall and I was afraid: we would find queues, no place to park, full of people waiting to pay.... We found traffic jam but we were very lucky and, in less than an hour we were out of there. Probably we would have found some things in the area where we live and we would have the opportunity to walk a bit... It´s a matter of taste.

At this time of the year, the kids are waiting for the toys Santa will give to them; The grown ups can´t wait to go out and have fun... I´m not religious but I think we are deviating from the real motive of this celebration. It doesn´t mean waiting for a present, it doesn´t mean going out and get drunk, it doesn´t mean get yourself nuts to find a gift to auntie Geraldine... For the orthodox people, this day is devoted to stay at home, celebrate the birth of Jesus, reunite the family, go to church... I respect both decisions: mi alternative is in the middle of both. My Christmas consists on get together my closest family around a table to have dinner. It´s the only day in the year that I dedicate to my famlily, to be with the loved ones. It´s true that that day we exchange presents (In Spain, the custom is on January 6th, the arrival of the three Wise Men) but for me that is the perfect excuse to rest from everyday´s busy schedule and feel wrapped up by my family. It´s true: singing Carols is not in our agenda but we keep the tradition of being together. Furthermore, since my daughter came to my life, I love seeing her happy face when she discovers what Father Christmas have left next to her shoe. She is awake until late just to check if what she asked for will appear magically...

No matter wich way you choose to celebrate Christmas, I wish you to do it the way you want most... I wish that "Marks & Sparks" or "Seals" don´t rule about what you have to do and how to do it... Live it as you believe it.

Well, on New Year´s Eve I think I´m going to enjoy it to the full: dance until I can´t anymore and laugh until my ribs are hurting me.... And wishing that 2011 will bring me what I think I deserve...

(First published on http://maritza-gonzalez.blogspot.com on December 23rd 2010)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario